About Singularity University
Singularity University (SU) is a benefit corporation based in Silicon Valley. We are a global community using exponential technologies to tackle the world’s biggest challenges. Our learning and innovation platform empowers individuals and organizations with the mindset, skillset, and network to build breakthrough solutions that leverage emerging technologies like artificial intelligence, robotics, and digital biology. With our community of entrepreneurs, corporations, development organizations, governments, investors, and academic institutions, we have the necessary ingredients to create a more abundant future for all.
The Controller is responsible for managing all aspects of accounting, financial reporting and compliance. This person will be responsible for producing monthly, quarterly and annual, financial statements, establishing financial policies, procedures, and controls, and ensuring legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions.
- Responsible for managing accounting team in India
- Manage all accounting functions, including customer billing & collections, vendor purchase requisitions, purchase orders, invoicing and payment, payroll, cash management, commission calculations, equity transactions
- Responsible for timely preparation of monthly financial statements
- Oversee monthly close process
- Ensure all balance sheet reconciliations are timely prepared and reviewed
- Review margins for monthly programs and ensure all items properly accrued or recognized
- Complete analytical BVA reviews for all business lines and programs
- Develop and maintain processes and controls for accounting and financial reporting, including procurement, invoicing across multiple business units, capitalization of fixed assets and software development costs, recognition of revenue for subscriptions and programs, including some multi-element contracts
- Responsible for treasury functions, including cash forecasting and banking relationships
- Review significant contracts, including customer and vendor contracts, lease arrangements, convertible debt, acquisitions.
- Responsible for coordination with external advisors; take ownership of annual audits (finance and 401k), including preparation of financial statements and related footnotes, annual federal and local state tax returns; manage compliance with state payroll tax returns in states where we have employees.
- Coordinate with Legal on insurance requirements and renewals
- Evaluate proposed transactions in foreign countries to determine proper exposure and tax implications; ensure proper compliance and coordinate with appropriate tax and legal consultants. Provide guidance concerning areas of potential risk, exposure and required action.
- Assist with other ad hoc projects as necessary.
Minimum Requirements (you must have):
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with an emphasis in accounting, finance, or business, or equivalent work experience.
- At least ten years of work experience in the accounting and finance sector.
- At least five years of supervisory experience, managing accountants.
- Ownership of all aspects of accounting and finance functions in academic environment
- Working in subscriptions based business (a huge plus)
- Working with and managing offshore accountants who handle most transactional activities for the company
- Effective communication and collaboration with all business units, including legal, HR, sales and operations and Executive Team
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy in financial reporting
- Advanced MS Excel skills including V-lookups and pivot tables
- Knowledge of Intacct, Salesforce.com, Concur (Invoice and Expense), Adaptive
- Knowledge of US GAAP, recent accounting standards, and best practices surrounding controls and processes
Impact & Influence:
This is a full-time, exempt position.
The position reports to Head of Operations/CFO
The position primary work location will be based remotely; HQ is Santa Clara, CA
Singularity University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. SU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.