The EVP of Finance is the company’s principal financial officer. The individual in this position adds value to the company’s efforts by acting as a counselor and advisor at the executive level, a problem solver and innovator within the finance function, and as an advocate for exponential thinking with our employees, investors, and customers. S/He understands how to strategize, experiment, fail fast, continuously improve, teach others, and conscientiously communicate.
Why You Will Want to Work at Singularity University:
- Singularity University (SU) has a globally recognized brand. We employ a vibrant workforce of bright and dedicated individuals, who love technology, and who are exceptional in their respective fields.
- SU is a global community using exponential technologies to tackle the world’s biggest challenges. SU’s learning and innovation platform empowers individuals and organizations with the mindset, skillset, and network to build breakthrough solutions that leverage emerging technologies like artificial intelligence, robotics, and digital biology.
- We have an active alumni network in 110 countries, a strong balance sheet, and backing from a variety of venture capital and private equity firms. SU is projecting substantial growth over the next five years. In this role you can play and important part in helping a great company scale exponentially and impact individuals around the world.
- Our offices are in the NASA Research Park at historic Moffett Field, CA. We offer an opportunity to make a difference, a competitive compensation package, fully paid medical benefits, unlimited vacation, and a work environment that includes a fully stocked kitchen, and a flexible approach to when and where you work.
Impact & Influence:
- The position reports to the CEO and is responsible to the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- On a regular and ongoing basis, the individual in this position interacts with the executive team, members of the company’s board of directors, investors and investment firms, and some customers.
- S/He provides advice and counsel to the finance team and to SU’s managers and department heads.
- The EVP, Finance directly supervises the corporate controller and the director of procurement; and is responsible for the broader finance team (5 individuals).
The Major Responsibilities:
- Contribute to a culture that values innovation and continuous improvement.
- Improve year-over-year performance by building a high performance team, and by using performance data to drive employee effectiveness and efficiency.
- Develop and evolve a long-term financial strategy, and a financial operating plan for the company.
- Lead the development and continuous improvement of tools for budgeting and planning, and which progressively increase employees’ and managers’ financial acumen and understanding of processes, and adoption of accepted financial practices and procedures.
- Continuously improve our use of technology focused on financial forecasting, budgeting, reporting, payroll, procurement, and expense reimbursement.
- Develop highly effective communication campaigns which ensure that internal and external stakeholders are informed and kept up to date with relevant information about company financial information, services, procedures, and concerns.
- In conjunction with the CEO and executive team, define meaningful indicators of financial performance.
- Provide regular and ongoing advice and counsel to the CEO, executive team and managers regarding financial planning & performance, budgeting, and cash flow.
- Prepare quarterly financial updates for the Board of Directors.
- Manage the annual audit and annual report preparation processes.
- Design and maintain an appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures.
- Manage the day to day activities of the finance team, including the prioritization of work assignments
- Ensure that SU remains compliant with all federal and state regulations and reporting requirements.
- Our Requirements (you must have):
- A bachelors degree from an accredited university. An emphasis in finance or accounting is preferred and an MBA is strongly preferred.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible management experience within the financial function.
About You (we’d like it if you have):
- Previous experience working within a major consulting firm, especially within the audit or financial practice (Bain & Co., McKinsey, PwC, Accenture, or other similar).
- A large network of CFO contacts.
- At least one previous role as a CFO.
- Previous experience working in Silicon Valley.
- Experience in both large and small firms, ideally with substantial experience in a company with a valuation of between $150M - $250M.
- Demonstrated capabilities in communicating with VC & PE firms.
- Previous success in fundraising.
- Demonstrated success in building teams.
- A demonstrable understanding of industry trends in the following areas: automation, risk management, globalization, managing across borders, and analytics.
How to Apply:
Please submit your application via the Singularity University website at www.su.org/careers .
Singularity University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. SU is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state/provincial, local law.
About Singularity University
Singularity University is a benefit corporation blending for-profit structure with mission-based vision and values. Our employee value proposition is centered around a passion to positively impact billions of lives globally in the next ten years using exponential technologies. This is why we come to work at SU.
Our cash compensation structure is a middle-ground between for-profit and nonprofit benchmarks. We also offer a collaborative work environment where you'll have access to exponential technologies and learning opportunities you just won't find anywhere else.
We are looking for bright individuals who believe the world needs an organization dedicated to addressing serious global issues by fully embracing the power and capacity of disruptive and exponentially growing technologies. We are looking for individuals who want to contribute directly to the growth and success of our programs. Our fast-paced environment requires intensive coordination and constant interaction with bright minds and the newest technologies from a variety of disciplines. We have ambitious ideas and plans and need the right people to help develop and execute them.
The following statements define who we are and what we stand for both within our community and with our employees:
- We are creating a future of abundance that is bright, equitable and leaves no one behind.
- We are not bystanders. We act with purpose, leveraging exponential technologies to definitively solve humanity’s greatest challenges.
- We lead courageously and set an example for changing the world. We do no harm and refuse to compromise others for our own benefit. Our passion for the well-being of humanity drives our action.
- We are a community of inclusion, collaboration, and deep connection in which every individual is integral to success and the greatest ideas are often those never heard before.
- We cultivate a critical mindset that is empathetic, understanding, and respectful of all points of view. We make decisions based on evidence and logic which push boundaries and redefine possibility.
- We take Moonshots, thinking big and taking risks to solve problems and impact billions of lives. We believe that big dreams, strong collaboration, and powerful tools create an unstoppable force for good.
Together, we can solve any challenge we encounter.
We are exponential.